After reading the required chapter and articles this week, you should have an understanding of the theories of criminal behavior and how biases and assumptions influence our assessment of individuals. These assumptions may have an impact in psychology profiling utilized in police investigations as well as stress induced and cultural–based behavior patterns that may be specific to certain segments of the population. As a foundation for your assignments in Weeks One through Five and your Final Research Paper review the Infamous Serial Killers (Links to an external site.) website and select from one of the following case:
- Richard Ramirez (1960–2013) murdered 25 victims over a 13–year period in California
- Jeffrey Dahmer (1960–1994) kidnapped, killed, and dismembered his victims in Milwaukee
- Ted Bundy (1946–1989) committed murders from Washington state to Florida
- David Berkowitz (1953– ) the Son of Sam killer who murdered six people in New York City
- Peter Kurten (1883–1931) the Dusseldorf Vampire who murdered nine people in Germany
- Joel Rifkin (1959– ) murdered 17 women in the 1990s
- Charles Manson (1934– ) orchestrated the Manson Family spree killings in Los Angeles
You may also select a case you have identified, with instructor consent. Avoid using a suspect who committed suicide, was killed prior to any criminal charges filed, or in another way was not subject to the criminal justice system.
Reference the Writing’s Center sample literature review (Links to an external site.) and guidelines.
In your literature review
- Identify the criminal case you have selected for your Final Research Paper.
- Due to the nature of the assignments, your original search may include reliable sources, including reliable media, to enable you to identify areas for further scholarly research. For example, numerous scholarly publications, including Aggression and Violent Behavior and Crime and Delinquency have published reports indicating that Ted Bundy suffered from narcissistic personality disorder. The scholarly source would then focus on the personality disorders diagnosis.
- Describe the contribution of each resource to your research and findings in at least two sentences.
The Literature Review
- Must be at least three double–spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least 10 sources, five of which must be scholarly, in addition to the course texts.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.
Bartol A., & Bartol C. (2019). Introduction to forensic psychology: Research and application (5th ed.). Sage Publications, Inc.
- Chapter 1: Introduction to Forensic Psychology